19 June 2017
Responding to the publication of the evidence which will inform Transport for the North’s Strategic Transport Plan, Bridget Fox from Campaign for Better Transport, authors of one of the reports, said:
“Our report identified a number of key challenges and opportunities including concerns about climate change, pollution and the landscape; the desire for more sustainable transport, rather than building new roads; and a desire to see improved local services to connect people to jobs. These combine to offer an exciting vision of what the Strategic Transport Plan could look like and the challenge now for Transport for the North is to ensure that these community and environmental concerns are addressed in the final plan.”
Campaign for Better Transport was commissioned by Transport for the North to engage the environmental and community sector in the emerging Strategic Transport Plan. The resulting report is one of a number Transport for the North has published today, which will feed into the final Transport Plan due to be published later this year.
Key challenges and opportunities identified in Campaign for Better Transport’s report include:
- Leadership in moving to a low carbon economy
- Real action on air pollution
- A transport network that connects communities and protects the environment
- An investment programme that rejects a 'bypass economy' that has traditionally brought environmental pain without economic gain
- A truly integrated transport system, with smart ticketing enabling multi-modal door-to-door journeys
- A greener North, past, present and future, through an investment programme that will retrofit, mitigate and future-proof environmental impacts
- A plan for smarter growth, that is inclusive, equitable, and sustainable.
Bridget added: "We are extremely pleased to have been able to work with Transport for the North in this way and will want to see that the emerging Strategic Transport Plan meets these challenges."
For further information please contact Alice Ridley on 020 7566 6495 / 07984 773 468 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors
- You can read Campaign for Better Transport’s full report, Key challenges in developing a Strategic Transport Plan for the North, here.
- Campaign for Better Transport is the UK's leading authority on sustainable transport. We champion transport solutions that improve people's lives and reduce environmental damage. Our campaigns push innovative, practical policies at local and national levels. Campaign for Better Transport Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1101929).