29 September 2017
Campaign for Better Transport responds to the publication of Highways England’s first progress report of its Design Panel.
The Strategic Design Panel was setup to ensure good design is at the centre of all Highways England’s work, including that road design should be environmentally sustainable.
Richard Bourn, who represents Campaign for Better Transport on the Design Panel, said:
"Roads have a huge impact on our environment; too many places are suffering the impact of bad road design. The Design Panel brings together great expertise with an important role to play and it's good to see the progress to date. We are glad to be contributing to the Panel's work, support the aim of putting good design at the heart of Highways England's work.
"The Panel has set out its design principles, including that road design should be environmentally sustainable. We now look forward to the Panel applying these principles to the roads programme, speaking up to protect sensitive locations and focusing on improving the design of existing roads not simply building new ones.
"In particular we are keen to see that the design of schemes integrates into the existing landscape rather than being imposed upon it, and that the needs of non-motorised users and communities alongside the SRN are properly met.
"It is vital that the work of the Design Panel is well-resourced in Highways England's future programmes, so that it is able to put the design principles into practice across the network."
For further information please contact Richard Watkins, Press Officer, at Campaign for Better Transport on 020 7566 6494 / 07984 773468 email@example.com
Notes to editors
- Campaign for Better Transport is calling for the Design Panel to have dedicated resourcing in RIS2, enabling it to review sensitive road schemes in detail, setting design objectives and applying these from the concept stage through to a post opening evaluation. Read our report, Rising to the Challenge: a shared green vision for RIS2
- Read Highways England Strategic Design Panel progress report here – First annual report
- With support from the Rees Jeffreys Road Fund, Campaign for Better Transport is developing proposals on how Highways England could best deliver a sustainable road network with improved environmental outcomes.
- Read about Campaign for Better Transport’s road campaigning work here - Evidence shows that new roads create new traffic
- Campaign for Better Transport is the UK's leading authority on sustainable transport. We champion transport solutions that improve people's lives and reduce environmental damage. Our campaigns push innovative, practical policies at local and national levels. Campaign for Better Transport Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1101929).