Campaign for Better Transport has come together with Cubic Transportation Systems, Telefónica and Thales to form a Smarter Travel Forum. The Forum is calling on Government to embed smart travel such as real time information, smartcards and data collection into its transport strategies.
"Investing in new transport infrastructure is important, but investment should be directed to making transport smarter and more intelligent, not just building more of it" Stephen Joseph, Campaign for Better Transport
In December 2013, the Smarter Travel Forum launched a Smarter Travel Manifesto, setting out the benefits of smart technology for passengers, policy-makers and operators, and suggesting ways the Government can encourage smarter travel through better regulation, contracts and investment.
You can view slides from the presentations given at the Smarter Travel Manifesto launch in December 2013 below:
- Why the Smarter Travel Forum? Stephen Joseph, Campaign for Better Trasnport
- Smarter transport investment - introducing the Smarter Travel Manifesto Mike Short, O2
- Smarter travel and the challenge of growth on London's roads Leon Daniels, Transport for London
- Applications of smarter travel - Cubic Transporatation Systems Martin Howell
- Applications of smarter travel - O2 Anna Holness
- Applications of smarter travel - Thales Claire Porter
- Making Cities Smart David Hytch, Transport for Greater Manchester
- Smarter travel for transport users Ian Wright, Passenger Focus
"We are calling on the Government to consider the huge benefits of upgrading our transport infrastructure with smart technology, so the UK can be fit for the digital future" Billy D'Arcy, Telefónica UK.
We are currently working with forum members to outline the plan of work for 2014.