Campaign for Better Transport's vision is for all communities to have access to high quality, sustainable transport that meets their needs, improves quality of life and protects the environment.
At present, transport is the biggest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions in the UK, and the sector is lagging behind others. Illegal levels of air pollution are damaging people's health. Many places are 'transport deserts', where limited travel options contribute to hardship and loneliness. Where public transport is available, passengers are not getting the service they deserve.
As technological and societal changes transform the way we travel, we want to see these changes focused on improving the wellbeing of communities, quality of life and the environment. With the help of our supporters, we'll be working for a country where transport connects people with opportunities and places, where the cost of travel is fair and the default choice is to use a sustainable form of transport.
- Pollution from transport must be reduced with air pollution brought within legal limits and reductions in water pollution from particulates.
- Social equity must be considered in decisions so that divisions in society aren't widened through technological developments.
- Loneliness and social exclusion must be tackled through reconnecting isolated communities.
- Greenhouse gas emissions from the transport sector must meet the trajectory for net zero emissions.
- Transport poverty must be reduced.