31 December 2014
Campaign for Better Transport has responded to the introduction of higher commuter rail fares on 2 January.
Martin Abrams, Public Transport Campaginer, Campaign for Better Transport said
"Yet again, the Government is hiking up commuter rail fares. Ticket prices are rising much faster than wages which means getting to work takes up an increasing share of incomes, hitting both household budgets and the economy. The Government urgently needs to adopt a fairer approach to ticketing, bringing fares down and introducing more flexible tickets to help groups like the millions who work part-time."
1. Campaign for Better Transport has produced a detailed briefing on January's rail fare rises
This sets out:
- How rail fares compare with wages this year and over the 2010-15 Parliament
- Examples of fare increases
- Policy recommendations to bring fares down
- Contact details for interviews