05 August 2014
As local authorities in the north of England launch their call for better transport links (2), Campaign for Better Transport warned that their vision could be undermined by the Department for Transport.
Stephen Joseph, Chief Executive, Campaign for Better Transport, said: "The One North report presents a sound, integrated vision for transport in the north of England. But the Government's consultation on the future of the two northern rail franchises (3) does not embrace this ambition. Instead of an investment-led strategy to upgrade the north of England's connections, the DfT is offering 'trade offs' with fares rises, de-staffing and a lack of commitment to serious investment." (4)
Campaign for Better Transport has today launched its Right Track North charter (5), backed by chambers of commerce and others across the north of England, which sets out plans for a high quality rail network, and is urging people across the northern counties to get involved and respond to the consultation.
Stephen Joseph, Chief Executive, Campaign for Better Transport, said "We hope the Government will reconsider its approach and work with the northern England authorities in a genuine partnership to give the North the rail services it wants and needs."
For more information please contact Chloë Darlington on 020 7566 6483 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Campaign for Better Transport is the UK's leading authority on sustainable transport. We champion transport solutions that improve people's lives and reduce environmental damage. Our campaigns push innovative, practical policies at local and national levels. Campaign for Better Transport Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1101929).
2. One North report: http://www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/uploadedFiles/Content/News/Articles/One%20North.pdf.
3. Department for Transport consultation on the TransPennine and Northern Rail franchise competitions: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-of-northern-and-transpennine-express-rail-franchises.
4. Department for Transport pre-qualification documents outlining what they are looking for from bidders for the franchises: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/transpennine-express-and-northern-franchises-2014-ojeu-notice.
5. Right Track North campaign charter: www.bettertransport.org.uk/right-track-north.