We are the Poulton & Wyre Railway Society. Formed in 2006 our Society was set up to act as a catalyst to reopen the railway between Poulton and Fleetwood.
The Preston & Wyre Railway was officially opened on the 15th July 1840 having taken just four years to construct. The vision of the High Sheriff of Lancashire, Sir Peter Hesketh Fleetwood, it was built to connect the new port of Fleetwood on the Fylde coast to the industrial town of Preston. Constructed by George and Robert Stephenson (and in part Joseph Locke) it formed an important section of the first through route to Scotland from London. A fine hotel, the 'North Euston', was built to cater for customers transferring from rail to sea for the voyage to Glasgow and is still standing today. This was however short lived and just six years later a direct route over Shap was opened leaving the shareholders of the Preston & Wyre extremely disappointed.
The line from Poulton to Fleetwood was closed in the 1960s.