5 December 2018
A new report released today, by Campaign for Better Transport, reveals rural transport in a state of crisis, with bus cuts and shrinking transport networks leaving communities cut off, unable to access jobs and services, and creating increasingly congested roads
The Future of Rural Bus Services in the UK shows the impact of poor public transport on the health and wellbeing of communities and rural economies, and calls for urgent reform to ensure people living in rural areas remain connected to the national transport network.
Darren Shirley, Chief Executive of Campaign for Better Transport, said:
“Rural public transport is in crisis. Bus cuts and shrinking transport networks are making it harder and harder for people to get to work or school, to visit friends and family, or access shops and services, as well as putting extra pressure on our congested roads.
“Things need to change. The Government must realise the importance of rural transport and do more to help communities and local authorities provide a public transport network that supports rural economies and improves the health and wellbeing of the people who live there.”
The report makes a number of recommendations, including:
- Long-term, ring-fenced central Government funding to support rural communities and local authorities to improve public transport
- Better incentives for companies providing transport in rural areas to develop and improve services
- Local authorities and private companies to work more in partnership
- Use new technologies, including apps and smart ticketing, to improve services
- Take account of modern lifestyles and travel needs when planning transport networks and services
- Employ a wider range of transport operators and types of services, including private buses and taxis; community transport; school and health service transport; and car share schemes.
For further information please contact the press office on 020 3746 2235 or email@example.com
Notes to Editors
- Campaign for Better Transport is the UK's leading authority on sustainable transport. We champion transport solutions that improve people's lives and reduce environmental damage. Our campaigns push innovative, practical policies at local and national levels. Campaign for Better Transport Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1101929).