11 April 2016
Campaign for Better Transport has welcomed the Government's new station development programme, but warned it must be backed by powers and funding.
Stephen Joseph, Campaign for Better Transport’s Chief Executive, said:
"This initiative is very welcome as it will focus new development where it should be, around railway stations and transport hubs where it can be well served by public transport. Our research has shown that many councils and developers want to make such development happen, but have found that the structure and incentives in the rail industry, planning policy and the need for early funding have all got in the way.
“The Government needs to make sure these barriers can be overcome so that development around urban rail stations can go ahead and that developers provide some funding for transport improvements as part of the deal. It's only fair that if property developers benefit financially from better transport links to their developments, they also foot some of the bill.”
For further information please contact Alice Ridley on 020 7566 6495 / 07984 773 468 or email@example.com
Notes to Editors
- Regeneration of stations set to deliver thousands of new properties and jobs - Government announces programme of development of railway stations and surrounding land will deliver up to 10,000 new homes.
- Campaign for Better Transport’s report Getting There: How sustainable transport can support development examines a number of successful sustainable developments in the UK and looks at how councils can encourage more. Read the report here.
- In 2013 Campaign for Better Transport undertook research, funded by Abellio, about the importance of good walking routes from stations to town centres. Read Fixing the Link: Making good the walking route from station to town centre here.
- The Government’s recent review of Network Rail, Shaw Report: the future shape and financing of Network Rail, recommended developers contribute to transport improvements for new developments.
- Campaign for Better Transport is the UK's leading authority on sustainable transport. We champion transport solutions that improve people's lives and reduce environmental damage. Our campaigns push innovative, practical policies at local and national levels. Campaign for Better Transport Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1101929).