11 January 2018
Campaign for Better Transport has welcomed the publication of Highways England’s The Road to Good Design, which sets out ten design principles to create "better, more beautiful roads".
The principles will be at the centre of all Highways England’s work and were developed by a panel of experts, including Richard Bourn, who represents Campaign for Better Transport.
Richard Bourn said: "Roads have a huge impact on our environment; too many places are suffering the results of bad road design. We now look forward to seeing how these principles, including that road design should be environmentally sustainable, are applied to the roads programme. In particular we are keen to see that the design of schemes integrates into the existing landscape, rather than being imposed upon it, and that the needs of non-motorised users and communities alongside the strategic roads network are properly met.
"Therefore it is vital that the work of the Design Panel is well-resourced in Highways England's future programmes, so that it is able to put the design principles into practice across the network."
For further information please contact Richard Watkins, Press Officer, at Campaign for Better Transport on 020 7566 6494 / 07984 773468 firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors
- Campaign for Better Transport is calling for the Design Panel to have dedicated resourcing in the next Roads Investment Strategy (RIS2), enabling it to review sensitive road schemes in detail, setting design objectives and applying these from the concept stage through to a post opening evaluation. Read our report here, Rising to the Challenge: a shared green vision for RIS2.
- Read Highways England's The Road to Good Design here.
- With support from the Rees Jeffreys Road Fund, Campaign for Better Transport is developing proposals on how Highways England could best deliver a sustainable road network with improved environmental outcomes.
- Read about Campaign for Better Transport’s road campaigning work here - Evidence shows that new roads create new traffic.
- Campaign for Better Transport is the UK's leading authority on sustainable transport. We champion transport solutions that improve people's lives and reduce environmental damage. Our campaigns push innovative, practical policies at local and national levels. Campaign for Better Transport Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1101929).