21 October 2015
Campaigners dressed in 1960's clothes descended on City Hall today in protest at plans to build a new road tunnel under the Thames.
The proposed Silvertown tunnel will link the Greenwich Peninsula with Silvertown and is set to cost £1bn, but campaigners are arguing that, far from solving congestion, the plan harks back to 1960s road planning and will actually increase traffic whilst providing no economic benefit for the local area.
Steve Chambers, from Campaign for Better Transport, said:
“This scheme is decidedly 1960s and harks back to a bygone era where the car was king and every household had two. In fact car use is declining making this road tunnel unwanted and totally unnecessary. There is simply no evidence to support this scheme, or the idea that it will reduce congestion through the Blackwall Tunnel.
"The proposal involves using tolls to manage demand, but why build a road and then deter people from using it? This is a 20th century solution for a 21st century city and London deserves better. The money would be better spent on new rail, pedestrian and cycle connections, rather than another traffic clogged toll tunnel.”
Members of the public have until Sunday 29 November to respond to the formal consultation into the scheme on Transport for London’s website - Have Your Say.
Photos of the protest are available upon request.
For further information please contact Richard Watkins on 020 7566 6494 / 07984 773 468 or email@example.com
Notes to Editors
1. Campaign for Better Transport is the UK's leading authority on sustainable transport. We champion transport solutions that improve people's lives and reduce environmental damage. Our campaigns push innovative, practical policies at local and national levels. Campaign for Better Transport Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1101929).
2. The ‘No to Silvertown Tunnel’ campaign is organised by a group of local residents who are opposed to TfL’s proposals to construct the Silvertown Tunnel road link across the Thames.
3. The next public meeting will be held on 12 November, 7.30-9.30pm at Forum at Greenwich, Trafalgar Road SE10 9EQ (near Maze Hill station). Guest speakers: Dr Ian Mudway, Christian Wolmar. Chaired by Jonn Elledge.
4. Read about Campaign for Better Transport’s campaigning around the Silvertown tunnel and other new Thames river crossing proposals here – London roads and river crossings
5. Read Transport for London’s plans for the Silvertown tunnel here - Silvertown Tunnel