8 April 2016
Campaign for Better Transport congratulates local Frome resident on receiving a prestigious award for tirelessly campaigning against cuts to local bus services resulting in some services being saved.
This week, Tracey Harding, from Frome and Villages Bus Users Group, attended a ceremony at Frome Assembly Rooms where the Mayor presented her with a civic award in recognition of all her hard work campaigning against cuts to local bus services.
On receiving the award Tracey said:
"I am thrilled and honoured to have received this prestigious award and this has given all of the bus users from Frome, and our surrounding villages, the recognition they deserve in the fight against unjust cuts to essential bus services."
Steve Chambers, Bus Campaigner, Campaign for Better Transport, said:
“This award is richly deserved and I am pleased that Tracey has been recognised for her tireless work against cuts to her local subsidised bus services. These buses provide an essential service to Frome and the surrounding area ensuring people can access shops, jobs, education and hospitals.
"With more battles still to come we will continue to support Tracey in the continuing fight against these unjust cuts to vital bus services.”
For further information please contact Richard Watkins on 020 7566 6494 / 07984 773 468, email@example.com
Notes to Editors
- Read more about the campaigning work of Frome and Villages Bus User Group (FAVBUG)
- Somerset County Council will continue to fund the 162 and 184 bus services for another year.
- Photos are available on request.
- Supported buses are services that are subsidised by local authorities because they are not provided by commercial bus companies. They account for between 20-25 per cent of bus services across England and Wales and serve communities where no alternative route exists, meaning that any cut or alteration can often have a huge impact on residents and local economies.
- Campaign for Better Transport is the UK's leading authority on sustainable transport. We champion transport solutions that improve people's lives and reduce environmental damage. Our campaigns push innovative, practical policies at local and national levels. Campaign for Better Transport Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1101929).