6 July 2018
Campaign for Better Transport says a long-term strategy is needed to bring together bus funding and policy in order to reverse the decline in bus use and get more people on buses and coaches.
In a briefing released today (6 July), the transport charity argues that the introduction of a National Coach and Bus Investment Strategy would:
- Provide new and better funding for bus services by bringing together different transport funding streams from across the Government.
- Help moves to low and zero emission vehicles.
- Support UK bus and coach manufacturing and suppliers.
- Make use of new Mobility as a Service (MaaS) technology involving door to door travel and flexible demand-responsive services.
Steve Chambers, public transport campaigner, Campaign for Better Transport, said:
"Earlier this week, we released figures showing funding for local authority supported bus services has halved in the last eight years. A national long-term strategy could help address this by bringing together funding and policies so as to reverse this decline.”
“Buses and coaches are currently the only modes of transport without any kind of long-term funding or national policy. The Campaign for Better Transport briefing points to the Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy as a model which includes set long-term targets to increase walking and cycling, funded local investment plans and requirements to integrate cycling and walking into planning frameworks and other transport investment. It argues the same could and should happen for buses and coaches.”
Campaign for Better Transport has sent its proposals to the Government urging it to include it in next year's spending review.
For further information please contact the press office on 07984 773 468 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors
- Read the Coach and Bus Investment Strategy briefing
- Read the Buses in Crisis 2018 report
- Campaign for Better Transport is the UK's leading authority on sustainable transport. We champion transport solutions that improve people's lives and reduce environmental damage. Our campaigns push innovative, practical policies at local and national levels. Campaign for Better Transport Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1101929).