Portsmouth Cycle Forum campaigns for the improvement of safety, convenience and practicality of cycling in our city. We encourage discussion among those who influence cycling in Portsmouth and among others who may be affected by it.
Quarterly public meetings at Portsmouth Guildhall - contact them for details.
Cycling manifesto for Portsmouth
Portsmouth Cycle Forum is working to create a cycle-friendly city with an embedded cycling culture. We believe that the following will help to bring this about:
Creation of a Strategic Cycle Network
- Corridors into the city centre
- Full signage of cycle routes
Improved safety measures for cyclists in Portsmouth and Southsea
- Expanded use of cycling 'contra flow' systems
- Permitting cycling in Palmerston Road and Commercial Road precincts outside business hours
- Expanding safe bike routes to schools
Creation of liveable neighbourhoods
- Making local streets safer for walking and cycling
- A Cycling Charter
Integration of bikes with public transport
- Promotion of 'cycle & ride' schemes
- Secure cycle parking at Rail and Bus stations
Encourage cycling throughout Portsmouth
- Promote new activities i.e. cycling film festival, guided rides and events, adult cycle training
We look forward to working in partnership with Portsmouth City Council to achieve shared goals. Cycling plays a key role in achieving economic and anti-poverty aims, and important health, carbon reduction, congestion and clean-air targets.