The facts on air pollution from nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulates (PM) are shocking, with motor transport the main offender.
- Tens of thousands of UK deaths each year are attributable to air pollution
- Children exposed to air pollution are at risk of life-limiting health problems
- On average, transport is responsible for 80% of NOx emissions at the roadside
- The largest source of emissions is diesel vehicles
- Up to 95% of diesel vehicles on the road are currently breaking air pollution limits
- HGV road journeys produce 76% more CO2 than the equivalent freight by rail, 90% more PM10 and up to fifteen times more NOx
We are calling for urgent action at national and local level: every community is entitled to clean air. Campaigning for better, sustainable transport is a vital part of this.
Our blog on the Environment Bill, October 2019
Our blog on Clean Air Day, June 2019
Our blog on London's Ultra Low Emission Zone, April 2019
Our guest blog by Tim Smedley, author of Clearing the Air, March 2019